Sunday, January 25, 2015

How To Donate A Part of Your Liver ;)

Hello Dear Readers!

I am getting so many versions of the same question: how do I go about donating a part of my liver?

It is obvious that I need to repost the criteria to be met.  Here we go, hold on to your hats!

A potential live liver donor must:

1) be older than 18 years of age and younger than 60 years of age;
2) be in good overall health and physical condition;
3) have a compatible blood type: A or O (rhesus factor + or - does not matter);
4) have a BMI of less than 35 to be worked up for consideration and no greater than 32 at the time of surgery (transplant).

Work up takes 3-4 days in Toronto. At the time of surgery, donor can expect to be in hospital for 5-10 days. The donor can expect to be off work for about 6 weeks. The donor's liver will regenerate and regrow to its original size within 6-8 weeks.

The Trillium Gift of Life Network can offer financial help through their PRELOD program.

http://www.giftoflife.on.ca/resources/pdf/PRELOD%20FAQ.pdf

Please note that REGULATIONS PROHIBIT FAMILIES OF RECIPIENTS TO FINANCIALLY HELP POTENTIAL DONORS.

If you are interested in being a live liver donor for our daughters, please contact:

Toronto General Hospital (UHN)
Living Donor Assessment Office
416.340.4800 ext: 6581

and specify that you are willing to be assessed to donate to either THI BINH LA or THI PHUOC LA (date of birth 14 May 2011).

You can also go to their website:

http://www.uhn.ca/MOT/PatientsFamilies/Clinics_Tests/Documents/LivingDonor_LiverDonorManual.pdf

or print the Donor Health History and fax it at 416.340.4317

http://www.uhn.ca/MOT/PatientsFamilies/Clinics_Tests/Documents/MOT_PF_CC_LivingDonor_DonorHealthHistoryForm.pdf

17 comments:

  1. The only thing I'm not sure if I meet is the BMI... The rest I do meet. I'll look into it more and hopefully be able to help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be honored to help you not have to pick between your two beautiful daughters. I fit the above listed criteria and will be completing a form.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read the story about your twins, absolutely heartbreaking. I match all the criteria, but live in Europe. I'd love to help if I only could. I hope everything goes well for your gorgeous daughters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how I wish I was younger - I match all the criteria - except age.
    You have my prayers that a second door can be found for this fine family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I meet everything except for age and bmi i am so sorry it is heart breaking to hear this i wish i could help god is watching over them as well as your entire family. I will be praying all goes well. May god bless them as well as your whole entire family

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do not fit as I am pregnant however I will keep your family in my prayers. Hopefully all the news coverage brings you a new thoughtful and selfless friend soon. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. To bad I don't live in Toronto and can't take off work that long as I just had my appendix removed. Good luck guys

    ReplyDelete
  8. I match! I will fill out the form

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am a neg I live in Chicago and can make a trip out there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am a mother to twin four yr old boys. I feel a parental bond with your story. I fit all the categories you mentioned above. I live in the US. How could I be tested for a match? God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would like to help... Im not sure about my bmi but meet the other criteria.. I live in Texas and need to know how to be tested...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have read about your family and your plight and would like to help. Since I meet the criteria, I want to fill out the forms, but I read somewhere, I thought, that TGH was turning away applications for your twins. Is that true?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am told they are still accepting applications.

      Delete
  13. Ill ask my Dr. what my blood type is. I meet all other criteria. I'll do it in a heartbeat.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have to ask my Dr. what my blood type is. I meet all other criteria. I'll do it in a heartbeat.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nam Nguyen MississaugaFebruary 3, 2015 at 2:18 PM

    I've read your moving story and I decided to fill out the application.I fit these criteria of health,blood type,age,10 days stay in hospital ,6 weeks off work....Hope all will work out well.Best wishes to your family and wish you don't have to make the choice.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would love to help, although I don't think I could afford the size of the medical bill or the time away from work. I hope you find a donor soon!

    ReplyDelete